Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The New Year

Happy New Year, my dear readers! :)

Last night, and even now, many people are willing to throw away the past that was 2013 and look ahead to 2014. I've heard so many people say how excited they are that 2013 is going to be over. From most of the comments I've heard, it sounds like 2013 was a hard year. I will admit, there are times in 2013 that I am not proud of, and I'm excited that I get to leave them behind as 2014 starts.

But even though there were rough moments in 2013, I can still look back and see all the good times I've had such as...
  1. Spring Break: I got to take a 16-hour (I think??) road trip with a few of my closest friends. Sure, we hit some rough patches even then, but we learned so much, about life, about each other, about the world. It was a great experience, one that left me a little less richer than I was coming into my first college year, but one that I wouldn't trade for anything.
  2. Finishing my first year of college: I finished one full year of college! Went through the educational, social, and spiritual ups and downs of a freshman in college and truly did well! 
  3. Blogged for the year: yes, I posted more during some months than I did others (in fact, I think March contained most of my blog posts!), but I still blogged at least once a month! That's huge, knowing my busy schedule! I also just looked at how many views I've had in all, and the total is 2700! Y'all are so awesome and I'm so grateful for those of you who continue to come back to read my blog! And I'm excited to share a change that's going to occur! Just sit tight...
  4. A Truly Refreshing Summer: I will admit, some hard things came upon me during the summer time, but all-in-all, it was still refreshing. I was able to do so many things this summer that I didn't think I'd ever get to do. I was able to celebrate birthdays by watching movies, making cookies, and hanging out. It was so much fun, and I look forward to this next summer!
  5. Another semester down...: I finished another semester of college! Another trying time in my life, but hey, God got me through it! And now here I am, resting away for the next couple of weeks! So grateful!
It really helps me to remember the great times in 2013. So many times around New Year's people think about the rough times they've had. They can't see past those things to see how truly blessed they are that they've lived another year. 

Trust me, I understand what it means to feel B-R-O-K-E-N, to feel like you're not making any progress, even though life is passing you by. We're all broken and fragile. Sometimes the slightest change in life can impact us so greatly. But thankfully for us Christians, we have the Holy Spirit within us to strengthen us despite the fragility, and to give us the hope of not being completely broken.

Welcome, 2014! With a new year coming upon all of us, I've thought about and realized some things...

Change.

I feel like my calling is becoming a little more clearer to me as I continue living my life. And right now the way I see things, I don't see music becoming a HUGE thing in my future. I definitely still love music and I love playing my acoustic (well, when I get the chance!), but I know that music is not my passion. I know people who have a passion for music, like my friend Caylin and my sister Kae'sha. They are so driven and determined to make music their careers and to make things happen. They continuously write songs, practice their instruments and vocals, and think about their future in music.

Me? Well, if I were to say anything about my talent in music, I dabble in it. But that's okay. That doesn't mean I'm going to sell my acoustic or tell someone "no, I don't want to sing harmony for you". I'm definitely going to keep practicing playing my guitar to get better at it. And I will still have a love for music. But I've seen what a true passion for it looks like. And if later on in life I develop a passion for music because God has it in His plan for my future, then sweet. I will go where He wants me to go. But I'm okay if it isn't where I need to be. Wherever God needs me, I want to be there, because it's what He wants.

Now writing? Gosh, writing is a big thing I love. I sometimes feel like it's the only thing I have. Writing has truly become an outlet for me and I've really grown to love it more and more. And now, when I do think about the future, I can see myself being a full-time blogger or writing for a magazine or (this is a long shot here) touring with a band or musician and writing their blog for them. I can also see myself writing fiction novels and other books and speaking at conferences for teen girls and maybe even listening to their stories and helping them through their problems. I have so many ideas I want to try, but lemme be real here...

I AM SCARED. 

I'm scared for what the future holds. And I know that God is in control, but when I really think about what I'm going to do when I get out of college... well, all I can do is pray and ask God to help me trust Him and to open my eyes for the doors He's opening. 

I'm telling y'all all of this because I'm changing my blog name. Because I feel like a "lifesong" type title is more for one who is passionate about music. And really, I just want a change. A new year, a new blog. Well, sorta haha.

The main thing I know now is this: things are constantly changing. I've expressed this and I'm constantly changing. Circumstances surrounding me impact me in such big ways. I'm not really changing the blog posts as much as I'm changing the blog title, so if you've been liking the content (aka, my life and lessons) of this blog so far, never fear! 

And because of who I am and life in general constantly changing, I've decided to change my blog title to Redefined. I've told you what I really want to do with my future. But who knows? In a couple of months it may be something different. Maybe it still has to do with writing, but it's something other than magazine publishing or maybe God will call me back to music again. 

And not only am I "redefined" in this way, but my whole life has been redefined because of Christ's sacrifice for me and because He's called me as a child of His. So, not only am I redefined, but all Christians are redefined. We are no longer defined by this world, but we are changed and renewed.  Our lives now have a different purpose than what they used to before we accepted Christ as our Savior. 

So again, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Have any resolutions? I know I do! I'm going to truly appreciate what I have here and now. I'm also going to learn adapt to the change that's happening in my life. Because it's okay if things change.

I'm also going to do what my Pa told me to: I'm going to make a list of things that I want to do while I'm young and single (so, not just for the year 2014!). For instance, living in a different country for a year (most likely South Korea). I encourage you to make a list as well! It doesn't have to be for the rest of your life, it could be for 2014 only if you like!

I hope you're enjoying the first day of a brand new year! I know I'm excited for what God has in store for me, my family, and my friends! And I can't wait to share with y'all the lessons I'll learn this year and the great events to come! 

May God bless you all this new year! I love you all! 

luv ya!
*~.Mishy.~* (^^) <3

1 comment:

  1. Mishy! Thanks for your honesty :) I loved hearing what's going on in your heart! Let me tell you, it is going to be scary and hard. I am going through those exact emotions right now as I anticipate graduation, but He is so good! He will show you EXACTLY where you need to be. So excited to see what He has in store for your life! Love you and can't wait to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are read and appreciated! :)